Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Batman who handed in crook to police station revealed as Chinese takeaway delivery driver

A man dressed as Batman who walked into a Bradford police station and handed over a wanted man to officers has revealed himself to be 39-year-old Chinese takeaway delivery driver, Stan Worby. Dressed as Batman he marched into Trafalgar House police station dragging the wanted suspect with him and told the astonished officers behind the desk, “I’ve caught this one for you.” The mysterious caped crusader then vanished into the night, leaving police baffled as to the identity of their new, slightly paunchy, ally in the battle against crime.



The man in the Batman costume has now unmasked himself as Stan Worby, who said he drove his old friend Danny Frayne, 27, to the police station after returning from Bradford City’s cup final game against Swansea at London’s Wembley Stadium, which he had attended in fancy dress. Officers had been trying to persuade Mr Frayne to attend the police station and had contacted his family and other acquaintances in an attempt to enlist their help.

Mr Worby, from the Wyke area of Bradford, said: "I got a call from Danny whilst I was at Wembley and he said, 'can you run me to the cop station?' But as I was in London I couldn't. I told him as soon as I was home I would run him to Bradford central police station. We got back about 1am, and I picked Danny up in a minibus at 1.30am. I'd had a lot to drink and it was a great day out - I got some strange looks when I got to the cop station though. One policeman looked at me and just laughed. I said to the policeman, ‘I deserve a medal, I'm a caped crusader’.”



He added: "It was a joke at the end of the day and Danny wanted to go to the police station. I had spoken to Danny during the week and tried to knock some sense into him. It was getting on my nerves having police round all the time asking for him or his whereabouts. Danny's a good friend of mine and I've known him for 15 years or so. Who knows if I'll be doing some more crime-fighting in the future?" Mr Frayne was charged with handling stolen goods and fraud-related offences, and will appear before magistrates on Friday.

No comments: