Sunday, March 30, 2014

Grandson of lord launches gangsta rap career from the Hampstead ghetto

The grandson of a Liberal Democrat lord is hoping to climb the music charts after releasing a rap song recorded in his Golders Green bedroom. David Palmer, 25, whose rap name is Dave In Charge, has independently released rap song Habitat, the first single from his forthcoming debut album.

The internet marketing consultant, whose grandparents are Lord and Lady Palmer of Childs Hill, both councillors for the Barnet ward, performed and recorded the song in his “home studio” – his bedroom in his parents’ home in The Vale, Golders Green, North West London. A video for the new song, features Mr Palmer rapping in the Sandy Heath area of Hampstead Heath.


YouTube link.

He said: “I discovered rap from a young age. I think it was probably during my Year 6 disco at school that I first heard The Real Slim Shady [a song by rapper Eminem] – that made me want to check out rap music a bit more. As I was brought up with politics all around me, I seemed to understand what was going on.

“While a lot of people may be alienated by the political situations, I felt that I was able to understand the American ghetto situations because I had the political background.” Mr Palmer identifies himself as a “conscious rapper” whose lyrics are both political and “socially aware”. Mr Palmer’s new single is a commentary on the force of Mother Nature and features the hook line: “The sun glows, the wind blows, the stream flows, earth is a canvas, say habitat.” He added: “It’s about our vulnerablility to nature and how nature will always win, or will it?”

4 comments:

Paul said...

If the pet shop boys performed a rap song, I imagine it would sound a little like this.

You got to give it to him... he's got guts.

Megan Huddleston said...

I tried listening without looking and realized it's pretty original. I think I may like it! You said it, Paul, he definitely has guts!

Barbwire said...

Oh, my. Poor baby. Where on earth did he come up with his gestures? Too bad I'm not still teaching in Compton. I'd live to show this to my students and record their reactions.

SteveC said...

I may not classify him as 'gangster' but to be honest I liked it. I expected it to be rubbish and to hear people ripping it to shreds but fair play to him. I agree with everyone! Guts!