Sunday, May 04, 2014

Mini horse rescued from mini sinkhole

A miniature horse was rescued after getting stuck in a small sinkhole in South Chatham, Massachusetts on Friday. When the ground gave way and gulped down her beloved stallion, Norton, Brenda Nickerson panicked. “At first I thought I was seeing things,” recalled Nickerson.



“And then I said, 'you're not, 'cuz that's a hole he's in.' So then I calmed down, 'cuz I was hyperventilating.” Nickerson reported the situation to the Chatham Fire Department at around 6 am. Shortly thereafter, rescue officials were knee-deep in the corral, digging a ramp into the 3 to 4 feet deep sinkhole to give Norton a way to clamber to freedom.

“I got his halter on him and his lead and he came right up,” said Nickerson. “And boy didn't he whinny at those firemen. He was so happy.” The sinkhole was apparently caused when an old cesspool collapsed, said Nickerson, and luckily Norton survived the sudden descent without injury. “He doesn't have a scratch on him,” said Nickerson. “He's a little nervous.”


YouTube link.

Nickerson expressed gratitude to the fire department, and is thankful that Norton wasn't injured during his subterranean plunge. “He could have gone in on his back,” she said. “Could have broken his leg. I'm still shaking from it.” She is planning to ease the horse she calls “my buddy” back into life on the surface with some extra grooming and a little exercise.

No comments: