Friday, July 25, 2014

Social club manager chased after thief with her mop and bucket

The manager of a social club in Litherland, Merseyside, chased after a thief with a mop and bucket after he stole £200 from her handbag. Yvonne Carey ran after the man after she watched him dip into her handbag behind the bar at the Our Lady Queen of Peace social club. Yvonne’s friend Dee Grey, who was at the club organising a weight watchers class, then chased the thief down the path, but he was too quick for her.



Yvonne was planning to buy dollars with the cash ahead of a family holiday to Orlando. She said: “I had the mop and bucket in my hand when I saw him take the money. I yelled at him, then chased him to the door. I suppose he could have had a knife or anything.” The thief, who was caught on CCTV, was seen walking around the social club and the neighbouring priest’s house, before walking into the club.


YouTube link.

The offender is described as being white, aged in his 30s of a slight build. He was wearing sunglasses, dark tracksuit bottoms and a grey top. When he entered the club he walked straight behind the grab, took the money and then ran. Yvonne added: "The £200 was to buy some currency for a family holiday to Orlando. We have been saving for seven years. I am going with my son, and the grandchildren. I know I am not getting my £200, but at least he did not steal the money from a pensioner.



"And I am still going to Orlando." Yvonne, 58, has volunteered at the parish social club for over 25 years. A police spokesman confirmed they were appealing for information. He added: "We received a report that a man had stolen money from a member of staff’s handbag. Patrol attended and a search of the area was undertaken. An investigation into the matter is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact Merseyside Police."

No comments: