Monday, May 11, 2015

Mounted police officer hailed a hero after reviving dog with mouth to mouth

Pam Curry from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, can't describe how thankful she is that Mounted Patrol Sgt. Jon Levi saved and revived her dog, Abby, from their smoke-filled home on Wednesday. Abby, a Bichon, is owned by Timothy and Pam Curry. Abby was in her kennel inside the garage when smoke filled the home. Sheriff's deputies responded where Timothy's mother asked Sgt. Levi, who was backup supervisor, to rescue the dog inside the garage.

Sgt. Levi went inside to rescue Abby, who was unresponsive in her kennel. "The dog was seizing and couldn't breathe," Sgt. Levi said. "I grabbed the kennel and snatched the dog out of it. The dog was gasping. I grabbed the muzzle and gave breaths. I gave the dog more breaths," Sgt. Levi said. "She took a deep breath." Sgt. Pedigo and Deputy Nick Coble then put water on Abby to cool her down. "I gave more breaths," Sgt. Levi said, adding when Abby started panting he thought it was a good sign.



When Curry arrived, Abby was lying on the ground covered with soot and wet. "I was just glad I was there at the right time at the right place," Sgt. Levi said. "I would want somebody to do the same for me. I'm sure the dog is part of their family. I'm just glad it worked." The Currys took the dog to a veterinarian for treatment. "If it wasn't for Sgt. Levi's fast actions, the animal would not have survived," Sgt. Pedigo said.

Pam Curry said she was happy Sgt. Levi revived Abby. "He didn't have to do what he did," she said. "I thank him so much. Words just can't express how thankful my family is." Sheriff Robert Arnold said Sgt. Levi did an "awesome job" in saving the pet. "Sgt. Levi has a great love for animals and he showed that by going above and beyond to save Abby," Sheriff Arnold said. Sgt. Levi will receive a Letter of Commendation for saving the pet.

No comments: